Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Beat Planet Mix Tape


As we await fastbacker's massive music and culture dump, I've decided to offer something short and sweet of my own. As a subset or offshoot of the "Philly Style" postings, i've decided to painstakingly recreate an old mix tape of songs I first heard on WXPN's overnight alterna-show Beat Planet, most often courtesy of the DJ named Kirby. For me, this show held nightly morsels of delight, and I would tape it even when I fell asleep. I did not get out much. To be clear, most of the bands were not Philly bands. Cut one from that mixtape comes courtesy of Ric Menck and Paul Chastain, who briefly played under the name Choo Choo Train, before becoming the more widely known Velvet Crush. It appears that the CCT album "Briar High (Singles 1988)" has been rereleased as something called "Hey Wimpus," available here. Sure, it's wimpy-sounding jangly power pop, but does the album really need to be called that? I mean, it sounds so self-consciously self-conscious. Anyway, I love this song.

Choo Choo Train - My Best Friend

2 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Nerf Mark Malone said…

    it wasn't as short and sweet as i'd hoped. mst lrn t kp t shrt.

     
  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger fastbacker said…

    Wow you're taking me back with this one. I still know the words (kind of.) Back when WXPN was a real station and not an adult-alternative snooze fest.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home