Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Philly Style #2 & #3


Speaking of Schooly-D, his producer, Joe "The Butcher" Nicolo was at the helm for this 1989 slab of early Philly alt-rock. Electric Love Muffin was one of the first "local" bands I heard that sounded for real; they also fit right into my Dinosaur/Husker Du/Replacements aesthetic of the day. This is taken from the album "Rassafranna" and I tell you straight mister - this whole record is a gem.

Electric Love Muffin - Late Nights, Early Mornings

This is a track from the never released "Girl's High" album by The Joey Sweeney. I played drums on this album and this tune, if I recall correctly, was a favorite of Kurtis of Rambis Manor. Recorded in 1996 by Adam Lasus (who just did Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!) at Philly's Cycle Sound, this was a big, sprawling over-produced album stuffed with great songs. This is a soulful one featuring some sadly out of tune horns. Weed is evil, kids!

The Joey Sweeney - Danny
www.thetroublewithsweeney.com

6 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    More Girl's High, please! My cassette dub was unsalvagably melted in the car back in the nizzineties.

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Nerf Mark Malone said…

    Touché. 2 of my favorite jams from Philly days of yore in one post. The die is cast. The gauntlet has been thrown down. The rittenhouse is squared. It is on like Ron ...Joseph.

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it aint that overproduced
    just sludgy from a console that needed racapping.
    ok a little overproduced
    my bad
    I have a master dat somewhere will try to dig it out
    Jerry

     
  • At 12:39 AM, Blogger fastbacker said…

    hang on there Jerry, we're not talking about a sludgy console...there's a festival of overdubs having a party all over this album. However, I look forward to this DAT and the magic that it will bring.

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey like I said my bad
    we were drunk on wine coolers and overdub crazy!!
    danny came out the best
    I am know an overdub and mixing spicalist

    Jerry

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oops
    now not know
    funny
    it is very early

     

Post a Comment

<< Home