Sunday, January 08, 2006

If You Don't Listen, You'll Be Sad

This is, as far as I'm concerned, one of the greatest lost tracks of the new wave era. Recorded in 1982 by Boston's 21-645, it just hast this timeless pop urgency-- somehow akin to what Bloc Party's doing now.

From my research, all I can tell you is that bassist Jay Parham and drummer Randall Gibson went on to play in the Flies...Parham stayed there, Gibson moved on to moderate success in Scruffy the Cat. I also remember that Moving Targets covered the song on the Last of the Angels EP, but even Ken Chambers, with his killer instinct, couldn't quite do it justice.

Here it is for posterity. It can be found, if you're lucky like me, on a 4-song 7" put out by Propeller Records, and featuring a song apiece from Thalia Zadek's Dangerous Birds, a band called "V;", and Christmas.

21-645 - Babble

1 Comments:

  • At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I still remember how happy I was when I *finally* found this single in the back of a used record store in Boston a few years ago. One of my all-time favorites.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home