Friday, January 06, 2006

Louis Allen Rawls, 1933-2006.

Sad news today, that of Lou Rawls' passing. Chicago's gift to the world made great music for decades. I was scrounging for my mp3 of "You'll Never Find..." when I remembered that several friends had gifted me some old Rawls LPs about a decade back. So, consider the crackle of the surface noise a fitting complement to Mr. Rawls' singular gravelly baritone.

First, a tough-luck, stomping, grammy-winning groove produced and written by David Axelrod.
Lou Rawls - Dead End Street from Too Much!, Capitol, 1967
Buy it!

A Gamble & Huff product, backed, naturally by TSOP.
Lou Rawls - See You When I Git There from Unmistakably Lou, Phila. International, 1977.
Buy it!

Rest in peace.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger lil m said…

    Lou's monologue's were priceless, I once got to a gig way early and watched him do a sound check in his sweats just to hear him say stuff to the road crew. I woulda paid to hear him read the classifid ads or a phonebook...

    The Dead End Street monolgue, of which he first won a Grammy from, had a classic intro that varied from show to show but went sort like this in that deeply mellifluous rolling baritone:

    " I was born in a city that they call the Windy City. They call it the Windy City because of the Hawk, The Hawk -- I'm speakin' of the almighty hawk, Mr. Wind -- when he blows down the street around 35, 40 miles an hour, it'cuts through ya like a razorblade blowin' down the street, and all the clothes in the world can't help you. Th Hawk, takes care of plenty business, round wintertime."

    Thanx for the cracklin' tracks... had em on the vinyl too , but no digi- versions yet...dig the cracklin' too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home