Saturday, March 04, 2006

Saturday, It Is My Day

I feel like I am going to develop a rep around the blog as the "Saturday Poster." So rather than pussyfoot around it, here I embrace it. Below are four tunes sequenced to accompany activities of a perfect Saturday. Call it a musical Saturday biorhythm, if you will. First some notes:

MantaRay's never-released "Saturday" kicks off with an alarm clock, not a wholly accurate representation of how I get up on Saturdays, but it's an appropriate start here. The band, now reformulated under the moniker The Get Quick, inserted my name into the verse at a show on my 24th or 25th birthday. Although it's always been a favorite of mine, that move seals the song's place in history. The Flaming Lips' song is from the band's first perfect album, IMHO, 1992's Hit To Death In The Future Head. The Eggs track, from the sprawling Exploder record, has an amazing Emerson, Lake & Palmer-styled bridge. This is a band that confirmed its genius on almost every song, but incorporating the album's theme into the final moments of this track? Damn... And finally, the Yo La Tengo tune is a nice cool-down track for stirring that last drink and putting and end to any day, not just a Saturday.

9AM-1PM -- MantaRay w/ Ernie Whyte -- "Saturday (Norristown Version)"
1PM-5PM -- Flaming Lips -- "Gingerale Afternoon (The Astrology of a Saturday)" [buy it!]
5PM-10PM -- Eggs -- "Saturday's Cool" [buy it!]
10PM-1AM -- Yo La Tengo -- "Saturday" [buy it!]

3 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger fastbacker said…

    Wow - although I saw MantaRay play a zillion times, I never really paid much attention to their recordings. The production on this is really unique and gorgeous. Plus they cycle (smoothly) through a number of keys - very rare in the indie rock (but very common for Barry Manilow.)

    So Ernie Whyte plays trumpet (I assume) on this song. Any idea what he's gotten up to?

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I haven't seen Ernie since I left PA in 99. Talked to him at the Tav that yr and he had to that point I think devoted much of his adult life to music. The guy is majorly talented, but we all knew that.

    I just got two CDs of The Get Quick demos and alternate mixes in the mail and the stuff is astonishingly good. TGQ's record tends toward glossy and glammy, the stuff I got in the post is raw, electrifying and sorta dangerous. I hope to post some somewhere at some point.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    if you truly dig the saturday song then you would have had to start with the eel's "saturday morning" and finish with cut copy's "saturdays".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home